Author Topic: Recent (2009-15) US Army Organizational Changes  (Read 2747 times)

hud9675

• View Profile
Recent (2009-15) US Army Organizational Changes
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:43:05 am »
Like many collectors, I try to keep as current as possible about US Army designations so that I can label items in my collection accurately. Considering that the Army is in a more or less constant state of reorganization, it can be a challenge. (I imagine the pain this must cause ASMIC catalog preparers as well). Ive read about numerous US Army organizational changes made recently in open source forums such as TIOH, CMH and unit websites, branch periodicals, and various Army Times articles. What I have not seen is any official (i.e., DA) explanation of the scope of these changes, so Im wondering if Ive missed some seminal documents or presentations somewhere.  Specifically, I am referring to the following

Elimination of Divisional 4th Brigades

The Army has reverted to the three-brigade structure used prior to OIF. 

Elimination of Division & Brigade Special Troop Battalions

By my count, 88 Special Troop Battalions (STB) were formed in the mid-to-late 2000s; a number that is likely
       understated. All had DIs approved (so far as I know) except for:

STB, 75th Ranger Regt (who presumably wears the 75th Rgr Regt DI)
   STB, 56th Bde Combat Team, 28th Infantry Division

A few units that I think were active during this time either did not have a STB activated, or if    they did, did not have an
        approved DI. These include

STB, 1st Infantry Division
   STB, 101st Airborne Division (although I have seen a reference to the 501st STB, a numeric assignment not in
        accordance with how these units are designated).

Most if not all of these STBs are being inactivated. It appears as though the DIs for some Divisional STBs have been
        redesignated for use by the Divisional Headquarters & Headquarters Battalion. Some of the ARNG brigade STB DIs have
        been redesignated as Engineer Battalions. Example the DI for the STB, 76th Inf Bde was redesignated for the 776th
        Engineer Battalion.

Addition of a Divisional Headquarters & Headquarters Battalion (DHHB)

Began to be formed about 2009, but I have yet to see any lineage certificates. This is a new type of unit; DIs will
        probably be those of the former divisional STBs.  Example The STB, 3d Infantry Division was redesignated as the
        DHHB in 2011. 

Addition of an Engineer Battalion to Maneuver Brigades

Example The 1st, 2d and 3d Brigades of the 82d Airborne Division have recently been assigned the 127th, 37th and
       307th Engineer Battalions, respectively. These three units had been inactive until now. Engineer battalion designations
       are either being taken from inactive units (e.g., 127th Eng Bn) or are newly created organizations that could use the DI
       of a former BSTB (e.g., 776th Eng Bn). I do not know of a comprehensive list of these redesignations.

Elimination of Cavalry (RSTA) Squadrons in Maneuver Brigades

Example 1-32 Cavalry in the 1st Bde, 101st Airborne Division was replaced by 1-506 Infantry. I do not know of a
       comprehensive list of these redesignations.

Addition of a 3d maneuver battalion in Maneuver Brigades

A typical maneuver brigade in the OIF era might have contained 2 armor or infantry battalions as well as an RSTA
       cavalry squadron. With the elimination of the cavalry squadron, a typical brigade will now include three maneuver
       battalions. Example the 82d Airborne Division has added three maneuver battalions to replace the RSTA squadrons
      2-501, 1-508, and 2-508 Infantry. In essence, the Army seems to have returned to the pre-OIF brigade structure in most
      respects.   

These changes may not occur across all division and brigade types, and ARNG units may lag their RA counterparts in reorganizing. At least thats how it appears to me now. Also, all information on TIOH website is not current in regard to STB and DHHB designations. If you know of any official DA documentation on these organizational changes, please advise the membership. Ive made some lists of inactivations/activations concerning these units, but theres a heck of a lot of them and I doubt if Ive even identified half.  Attached for reference is a document listing all of the STBs that at one time were thought to be pending activation. Some parent units were subsequently redesignated as other types of brigades which did not contain a STB.   

William A Hudspeath
17 Nov 2015

wrbart

• View Profile
Re: Recent (2009-15) US Army Organizational Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:06:11 pm »
William
The 56SBCT of the 28ID was a Stryker Brigade no Stryker Bde's had STBs due to the way they were organized the units that were normally found in an STB were separate numbered companies with in the brigade i.e. 856 En Co, 656 Sig Co and 556 MI Co in the 56SBCT of the 28ID.

Whe the STB gets converted to an Engineer Bn the light units get an extra engineer company assigned and they take over the MI and Sig Co's for command & control purposes. The heavy (armored) brigades already had 2 engineer companies so it was fairly seemless.

Also, the 1ID and 101Abn DSTB wore the div NCBU DI, also the 278 Cav STB in the TN ARNG wore the same DI as the rest of the regiment.

Also, in the Nat Grd many STBs when converted to Engineer Bn some of them got a new number (like the example you gave) or a famous number of a previous unit that was once assigned to the unit in the past like the 104 En but the keep the STB DI or the one in Hawaii kept the 29STB DI but got the old engineer units number. And some than had no history like the 56IBCT in Texas (no relation to the one in PA) their old 56STB became the 156 En Bn and used the same DI as the 56STB

Hope this is helpful.

Wade

Hope this helps.

tredhed2

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 02:37:20 pm »
I think I will just stick to Constab DIs. Pretty tight time frame for me....ha ha

Mikecj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 02:42:42 pm »
56th IBCT assumed the lineage of the WW2 era 56th Cavalry Brigade, also TX NG.

Mike

William
The 56SBCT of the 28ID was a Stryker Brigade no Stryker Bde's had STBs due to the way they were organized the units that were normally found in an STB were separate numbered companies with in the brigade i.e. 856 En Co, 656 Sig Co and 556 MI Co in the 56SBCT of the 28ID.

Whe the STB gets converted to an Engineer Bn the light units get an extra engineer company assigned and they take over the MI and Sig Co's for command & control purposes. The heavy (armored) brigades already had 2 engineer companies so it was fairly seemless.

Also, the 1ID and 101Abn DSTB wore the div NCBU DI, also the 278 Cav STB in the TN ARNG wore the same DI as the rest of the regiment.

Also, in the Nat Grd many STBs when converted to Engineer Bn some of them got a new number (like the example you gave) or a famous number of a previous unit that was once assigned to the unit in the past like the 104 En but the keep the STB DI or the one in Hawaii kept the 29STB DI but got the old engineer units number. And some than had no history like the 56IBCT in Texas (no relation to the one in PA) their old 56STB became the 156 En Bn and used the same DI as the 56STB

Hope this is helpful.

Wade

Hope this helps.