Author Topic: DI 2nd Chemical Battalion Query  (Read 3088 times)

jpatrickstout

• View Profile
DI 2nd Chemical Battalion Query
« on: November 22, 2015, 05:53:22 pm »
Hello, I need your help on a time period for a DECAL used by the 2nd Chemical Battalion placed on a M1 Liner.  A little out of the ordinary for most DI's, since I am asking about a DECAL.  To helmet collectors like myself, these can be problematic for several reasons, including identifying the correct unit and time period used.  This DECAL is roughly 64mm tall and 57 wide at the scroll.  It is applied to the right side of a WWII Westinghouse liner that has been overpainted in a brown green, somewhat similar to other end of the war/occupation liners.  When you see a DECAL on a helmet like this, odds are 98.8% it will be postwar.  My question is can anybody attribute this DECAL to 1945-46, 1949 -1956, etc.  Given the color of paint, the original paint-stuck WWII liner strap,  WWII cloth interior and a laundry number, My thought is 1945-46 when the unit was in Germany, until disbanded in July 1946.  [img]USMF 2nd Chem Bat.jpg/img]

tredhed2

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DI 2nd Chemical Battalion Query
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 07:10:19 pm »
Since the design of the SSI changed to a pointed shield post war, you have an immediate post war decal.  WW II patches worn by the second have the same shape as the insigne of your decal. 

jpatrickstout

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 07:21:50 pm »
Thank you very much!  Do you have a link where the patch is viewable? I need to further educate myself.

regards,
pat

tredhed2

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 11:19:10 am »
If you use the TP search button, you'll find several articles about the insigne. This photo should help some, too.

tredhed2

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 11:28:08 am »
And here's the patch (click on the title to enlarge)

tredhed2

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 11:30:07 am »
And here's the patch (click on the image title to enlarge)

jpatrickstout

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 04:51:47 pm »
Thank you, Dave.

So, if I understand this correctly, the pointed shield patch was not a WWII patch.  Was it worn in 1945 or 1946?

I see a few of the pointed patches listed for sale as WWII era patches, see attached.

I am getting the hang of the TP search engine, I am just a little slow, LOL.  I also went back to the web and searched and found another WWII example in the USMF and a separate one on pin interest, but that is it, see attached.  A had patch to find, indeed.  Even the Chemical Museum does not have this patch listed in their website!

regrads,
pat

tredhed2

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 11:40:25 pm »
I haven't seen a pointed shield one on a WW II uniform. The 2nd was the only CMB after WW II and on the rolls when the KW started. I have provided the photo of the WW 2 GI wearing the small square shield w/ motto and have seen a few of them on uniforms.