Author Topic: Mysteries from central Asia  (Read 77 times)

Baranger

• View Profile
Mysteries from central Asia
« on: July 21, 2017, 07:49:28 am »
I have a few mysterious souvenirs that I picked up in central Asia more than 15 years ago, and any help will be appreciated:

Bought this at a large military supply store in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, near Islamabad. The animal is the markhor, a wild goat that is a national symbol of Pakistani and the patch is the same size and color as the national Army insignia worn by staff officers.

Obtained this (and a ton of other Afghan insignia) in Kabul a few weeks after the Taliban left town in 2001. I've identified pretty much everything except this. The symbol seems to be a red lightning bolt superimposed over a parachute, but the Arabic-character script (abbreviations in Pashto or Dari, probably) is inscrutible.

And two from India, both purchased at a very old (opened in the Raj era) officer supply store in New Delhi in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Some of the items I bought dated from the 1950s and one insignia was from the British Raj. Shortly after my last visit in 2005 or so, the owner retired and the store closed.

Most Indian Air Force wings have IAF in the center shield, but this has Hindi script on a red background. No clue. Perhaps army instead of air force?

ADC is obviously Aide de Camp, a military office that exists at many levels in the Indian army all the way down to state government. And this patch was probably already quite old when I bought it. But the script doesn't match the ADC insignia that I've seen on active officers.

Any info is appreciated!