Author Topic: Can You Please ID these Navy rates and the metal insignia?  (Read 482 times)

tredhed2

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Can You Please ID these Navy rates and the metal insignia?
« on: February 01, 2018, 01:20:20 pm »
These were sent in to me.

Sailor was in US Navy 1942-46, and served on the USS Arctic.

....."I do know for certain (based on his separation document) that while in active duty, his final rate was "Fire Controlman 2nd class (technical)".  In the family files, we have his 3rd class rate badge (the 3rd picture), which would be his rate before he was promoted.  So I understand why we have this one.  But this rate badge, or his 2nd class badge on his uniform jacket (which we also still have) does NOT make him a CPO, correct?

Re the CPO badge: I have been told that this was probably given to him during training at Great Lakes.  Recruits may be given a rank during their training time.  When Dad 'graduated' and joined his ship, the rank he held during training becomes meaningless.  Is this correct?   And if it IS correct, then does it follow that he could no longer wear the anchor device (the 2nd picture) once he left training?

Also, nobody has been able to tell me what the square knot means on the CPO badge....."

patchrat

• View Profile
Re: Can You Please ID these Navy rates and the metal insignia?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 01:31:07 pm »
image 1  Apprentice Petty Officer First Class, (pre 1948 version). Worn by recruits while in training who were filling the duities of a termporay P.O. The original reg (March 1918), describes as "Rating Badges For The Use Of Enlisted Men Under Training At Training Stations". (Reference "United States Navy Rating Badges And Marks 1833 to 2008", pages 48 & 49, by John Stacey.)  see also http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/140486-what-is-the-usn-rate-with-a-rope-knot-ex-apprentice/

the CPO badge could have been a gift or picked up along the way.