Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Unknown / Re: I have no idea.......
« Last post by Lars on April 13, 2018, 02:46:09 pm »
Unknown / I have no idea.......
« Last post by dlsheley on April 13, 2018, 01:38:58 am »
This is one I have no clue about.
Shows / Re: NE Ohio - 1 Day Military Show Sunday April 8th, 2018
« Last post by Wedgehead30 on March 27, 2018, 12:25:30 pm »
We picked up some more floor space and added more tables. It's not too late to get in, I have a couple tables left. More info at: https://www.facebook.com/NCMCUSA/

General Discussion / April-June 2018 Trading Post
« Last post by tredhed2 on February 26, 2018, 01:46:18 pm »
Was mailed beginning 22 Feb

Enjoy
U.S. Army / Re: Unknown unit insignia on wood sign. "Win or Die" motto. Help.
« Last post by tredhed2 on February 18, 2018, 03:11:53 pm »
Mottos were shared by diff units.

If it were a mission, there would be a cross on it. The CA grizzly faces sinister on the flag and on the crests of CA NG units or units w/ a NG history.

Have u checked w/ Aresta in Hawaii? This would be right up his alley.
U.S. Military / Re: Brit or German?
« Last post by tredhed2 on February 18, 2018, 03:05:25 pm »
German made
U.S. Military / Brit or German?
« Last post by Desertrat on February 16, 2018, 02:45:09 pm »
I have been told both, I am leaning heavily toward British. What are y'alls opinions?

Shows / Napredak San Jose Show
« Last post by Ed Anderson Jr on February 03, 2018, 03:40:16 pm »
No concession stand SUBWAY at Chevron Station 2 blocks away.... NO GUNS OR AMMO at this show

U.S. Army / Unknown unit insignia on wood sign. "Win or Die" motto. Help.
« Last post by mmerc20 on February 02, 2018, 11:21:45 am »
Our museum has this hand painted wooden sign from WWII but we have never been able to identify what unit it is. I asked TIOH but they weren't very helpful. The bear and mission-like building makes me think California and the blue makes me think infantry but the motto "win or die" I found listed as belonging to the 316th Field Arty Bn of the 81st ID.

Has anyone seen this before or have any info on the 316th? Whatever unit it was, they had spent some time at Camp Butner, NC for either training or inactivation after the war.

Thanks a lot,
Mike
U.S. Military / Can You Please ID these Navy rates and the metal insignia?
« Last post by tredhed2 on February 01, 2018, 01:20:20 pm »
These were sent in to me.

Sailor was in US Navy 1942-46, and served on the USS Arctic.

....."I do know for certain (based on his separation document) that while in active duty, his final rate was "Fire Controlman 2nd class (technical)".  In the family files, we have his 3rd class rate badge (the 3rd picture), which would be his rate before he was promoted.  So I understand why we have this one.  But this rate badge, or his 2nd class badge on his uniform jacket (which we also still have) does NOT make him a CPO, correct?

Re the CPO badge: I have been told that this was probably given to him during training at Great Lakes.  Recruits may be given a rank during their training time.  When Dad 'graduated' and joined his ship, the rank he held during training becomes meaningless.  Is this correct?   And if it IS correct, then does it follow that he could no longer wear the anchor device (the 2nd picture) once he left training?

Also, nobody has been able to tell me what the square knot means on the CPO badge....."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10