Author Topic: 372nd Infantry Regiment 1920's schiffli on felt  (Read 1842 times)

Phill Lockett

• View Profile
372nd Infantry Regiment 1920's schiffli on felt
« on: December 04, 2015, 03:41:35 pm »
Hi all

I recently purchased this 372nd patch early to mid 1920's patch sold by Bannermans.

One of many unique historical American units that served with the French , in this case 157th "Red Hand " division during WWI and after their bloody battles it became known as the "Bloody Hand"

What I also like about the patch is its early schiffli made on felt from the early  to mid 20's era.

If any one has a WWI example please post also can any one confirm a  Right hand variation(?).

THE RED HAND' sign of the Division, thanks to you, became a bloody hand which took the Boche by the throat and made him cry for mercy. You have well avenged our glorious dead.

GOYBET,
General, Commanding 157th Division.

Phill

with thanks to Steve Johnson for help.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:46:36 pm by Phill Lockett »

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 372nd Infantry Regiment 1920's schiffli on felt
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 08:28:23 pm »
Hi Phill,
  Sorry to take so long answering you but here is a scan of what you asked for.  It is a right-hand version and one of the few that I have ever seen.
 Steve may have mentioned to you that this design (the "bloody hand" in general and not this particular variation) was worn by an MP unit in the Washington D.C. National Guard in the late 1930s.  There is a photo in one of their yearbooks showing soldiers wearing it.  And, they are all Caucasians, too.  This just makes the situation a little more confusing.
  By the way, congrats on the Rugby World Cup victory.  I got to watch it live aboard ship halfway across the Atlantic.  Great game.

Phill Lockett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 11:29:33 pm »
Cheers Dave

Thanks to Steve , what I'm trying to do with my collection is to select certain types of manufactured patches from WWI- pre WWII understand the nuances , but more importantly learn about the unit , the history and the interesting anecdotes , which the 372nd fulfills.

Steve did send me a pic of several African American soldiers wearing the "bloody hand " patch (c 1926 enlisted uniform) , interesting about European MP's  using the patch , wonder how that came about with the then political times the units being segregated.

For those of us who know little of the unit below is American Negro soldier in the World War by Emmett j Scott (1919).

http://www.gwpda.org/wwi-www/Scott/ScottTC.htm#contents

Thanks , the country and the universe is all at one now we have the RWC we call "Wiremu" (actually William Web Ellis cup).

Phill

JAGCorps1775

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 10:55:03 am »
This is the shoulder patch of the French "Red Hand Division" that a Maryland Army National Guard all African-American unit fought under.  We have information in our museum at the Fifth Regiment Armory in downtown Baltimore, MD.