Author Topic: New to ASMIC  (Read 8191 times)

Mitter2k1

• View Profile
New to ASMIC
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:35:43 pm »
Hello everyone. I just joined yesterday and thought that I would stop by introduce myself. My name is Mike and you probably recognize my screen name from the USMF and other forums out there. I am from Illinois and have been collecting for nearly 4 years now. My focus is US WWI that touches on just about every area of collecting from the period. Out of all those things, I am greatly interested in collar disks and as of lately, patched uniforms and chevrons. Aside from collecting, I have been working on a local WWI veterans research project that has been in the works for 2 years now. Anyways, enough rambling from me as I am pretty excited to further my knowledge of insignia from the period and become a better informed collector.

Thank you,
Mike M.

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New to ASMIC
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:33:50 am »
Mike,
  Welcome to the ASMIC Forum.  It is slowly getting up and rolling as more members join in the conversation.  One of the benefits is that you will be able to look up just about anything that has been published in the past int The Trading Post and you can do so with out leaving the site.  The editor, Dave Kaufman and others, have been busy scanning in all the back issues of The Trading Post and putting them into a searchable format.  With the interests you have you will find that very useful.
  Again, welcome and I look forward to chating with you on the ASMIC Forum and in person sometime.
  Dave

Mitter2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:36:46 am »
Thanks Dave. I don't know why I didn't join sooner as everyone that collects insignia has recommended it. I know there is tons of great stuff out there to learn and I hope my wallet can keep up  :P

Thanks,
Mike

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:42:27 am »
Amen, Brother.  My wallet has always been my most severe critic.
To get the ball rolling, why don't you throw something up in one of the categories you are interested in and let's see who pops up.  I'm hoping it won't just be me.  Another good thing about this forum is the ease of posting photos.  It's a breeze.

Phill Lockett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 02:39:28 pm »
Welcome aboard Mike

It always good reading your posts on USMF.

Phill

Mitter2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 03:53:20 pm »
Thank you guys. Phill, I need to catch up on there as I have been slacking off quite a bit the past year or so. I don't even think I did a post SOS thread. Maybe I will break out the camera and get some shots of patched uniforms and post them up. I have a patch that I will post in this thread as a test so I can feel out the photo posting system.

Thanks,
Mike

tredhed2

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 11:23:29 am »
It appears that the patch is on a jacket k et. If there is collar insignia, please tell us what it is.

Mitter2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 01:12:29 pm »
It appears that the patch is on a jacket k et. If there is collar insignia, please tell us what it is.

It is on a wool uniform and it has plain US and Infantry type I collar disks.

-Mike

tredhed2

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 10:28:03 pm »
Most of know that WW II patches were authorized for many units, but there were many unauthorized patches made and worn, even for units that had authorized patches. Yours appears to fit the latter - still from the 82nd Div (there are two different LLs for the 82nd) so why not?

Mitter2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 01:43:41 pm »
It is a head scratcher for sure. I have seen lots of WWI 82nd Division patches, but this one out there. I just wish that the thread hadn't snagged and broken prior to me owning it. It's pretty loose and I don't want to do anything to fix it due and raise unnecessary flags due to how odd the patch is. I guess if there was something to go on maybe that would help, but there is nothing that identifies either the soldier or the unit. I even checked the backs of the disks in the rare hope that his name was scratched into the back.

-Mike

tredhed2

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 10:59:17 pm »
The best advice I could give you is until you get a definite, confirmed ID, do not sell it.

Mitter2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 11:11:15 pm »
I will probably take it to my grave hahaha!

Thanks,
Mike

Phill Lockett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 04:54:38 pm »
Hi Mike

Regarding your 82nd patch, I have always thought this was made in error/misinterpreted off an original design.

The below design drawing  was from H Ross Fords excellent book SSI of the AEF 1918-1919,and was communication  between Adj. Gen. to CG, and as pointed out was in colour. 

You can see how an error or misinterpretation could occur.

In the book also has gold AA.

Your patch has all the traits of a WWI era patch also Dan Griffin and Steve Johnson did not dismiss this patch. I showed Steve he would want more solid provenance but again as he said there were thousands of seamstress making up thousands of patches during that period.

As DK says don't sell it.

Phill

Mitter2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 05:11:16 am »
Phill,

Thank you for that information as it helps fill in some of the gaps. I have pondered the existence of this patch and its meaning and at this time, I have nothing more to go on. I am starting to wonder that maybe the original maker of this patch ran out of blue felt and just said the heck with it and used white. If you consider the overall construction of a patch of this nature, blue would use the most material out of the 3 colors and offers a viable explanation. However, this is just speculation and not meant to be taken seriously until something surfaces that confirms this. Like many things from WWI, there just isn't a clear answer readily available and that in part is what draws me to this period.

Thank you again for commenting. Maybe one day another like it will surface and we will have more answers.

Mike