Author Topic: 1st Division WWI patch  (Read 3275 times)

Phill Lockett

• View Profile
1st Division WWI patch
« on: December 14, 2015, 12:10:49 am »
Hi all

Here's my 1st Division patch.

Its thin red cloth 1 on thin OD(?) felt.

The interesting part is that this was in 2 pieces and then a "bandage" backing glued to it. I wonder if this was the norm to salvage the patch for more use.

Would be good to see more BRO and especially any odd ball variant.

Phill

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Division WWI patch
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:31:43 am »
Phill,
  Interesting variant you have there.  I have not seen one made that way before with the backing but it could have been done for a number of reasons.  Perhaps it was some attempt to just preserve it as a souvenir?
  I'm sure you saw the article that Steve and I did for The Trading Post a few issues back that showed what I consider to be the most odd of all the BROs we have in our collection but here it is again.  It is big and it is thick (see the edge view of the patch being measure with a caliper).  It would have been a challenge to have sewn it on with a sewing machine.
  Take care,
   Dave

Phill Lockett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 11:55:35 pm »
Thanks Dave

As Jed Clampett would say "wee doggie she's a big un", looks more likely for a display than for actual wear?

Its always great seeing the real odd ball variations. I wonder if there has been a WWI 1st In Div tab??

Phill

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 08:24:03 am »
Phill,
  Good question.   I certainly have never seen a WWI 1st Div tab.  In fact,  I can't recall any WWI tabs.  Tabs just weren't "a thing" for the Doughboys, I guess. 
  Dave