Author Topic: 68th Armor - Post Your "Silver Lions" Insignia  (Read 3656 times)

Lars

• View Profile
68th Armor - Post Your "Silver Lions" Insignia
« on: March 29, 2016, 02:24:17 pm »
Living close to BAUMHOLDER I acquired a couple of 68th Armor insignia over the years. I combined them for a small display recently. Would be great to see your 68th Armor patches, DUI etc. here as well.

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 68th Armor - Post Your "Silver Lions" Insignia
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:22:33 pm »
Hi Lars,
  Very nice display.  I really like that round one in the top right corner.  I don't think I have ever seen one of those before.  We have a couple that we could add but our collection is packed up for a move at the moment and it will be a while before I can dig anything out to respond.  Meanwhile, keep up the good work.
  Dave

bemerson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 01:32:30 pm »
I was a lieutenant in the 2d Bn, 68th Armor in Baumholder during Feb 1966-Feb 67.  At that time we had standard armor collar insignia with a "2" above and "68" below.  Also at Baumholder was the 3d ACR, whose officers wore crossed sabers.  At that time the regs did not provide for the use of crossed sabers, so the adjutant figured that we could wear the old "pickle" tank insignia with our unit number.  The adjutant ordered some of these insignia and we wore them on our dress blue uniforms.  Other made in Germany insignia are the armor with "68" above and "2" below, the two silver pieces for 3d Battalion and 5th Battalion, and with the 5th Bn number above.  The 1/68 insignia was made by N.S. Meyer.
Bill Emerson

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 03:12:07 pm »
Stunning collar insignia! Thanks for sharing and greetings from Idar-Oberstein!

Lars