Author Topic: Need Help with ID - Navy Pocket Patch  (Read 5133 times)

masonk

• View Profile
Need Help with ID - Navy Pocket Patch
« on: April 04, 2016, 08:21:44 am »
Need help with an ID on this Vietnamese made Navy pocket patch found on a M65 field Jacket. Named to a vet who served from 69-72.

Have had no luck finding a match online, and have posted this on several other forums, etc.

Thanks in advance!

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help with ID - Navy Pocket Patch
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 09:49:45 am »
 Wow, that's a tough one.  No wonder you haven't been successful so far in identifying it.
 The motto on the scroll at the base of the patch appears to be written in the Cyrillic alphabet.  Notice the backwards "N" in the first part of the motto.  If that is done correctly, it is a Cyrillic "E".  My Russian skills were never great and they are rusty now but they don't seem to be actual words--at least not any that I remember.  They could be some Vietnamese seamstress' idea of how the letters should be rendered.  If you have access to a fluent Russian speaker, it might be worth having them look at it and take a shot at translating it.
  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

masonk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 10:18:53 am »
Thanks, Currahee. Yep, that was my thought as well. I even went as far as using an app that types in Russian letters, so I could try to translate. I couldn't find the letter I in the Russian alphabet, so I gave up.

Quite frustrating, to say the least.

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 06:55:20 pm »
Are you sure it's an "I"?  Looks like it could be a "T" with a few excess threads at the bottom.  I'm also thinking the last letter on the right is a Cyrillic "D" rather than an "A".  Could be either from the looks of it. 
I'll try to get some of my Russian linguist friends to look at it.

masonk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 07:44:41 pm »
I actually had someone translate. It is Russian, however the phrase was written incorrectly. Roughly, it translates to, "F*** you in the ear". :o In the event you think I'm making that up, here is the thread on USMF.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/264383-can-anyone-read-russian/

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 11:05:02 am »
OK, now I see it.  The spacing for the "B" makes it a little confusing and I think you are correct about some spelling errors.  Not uncommon when you have non-Russian speakers asking non-English tailors to make something for them.
Well, after all that, we are still left to wonde what unit wore the patch. This could be a very small unit from somewhere where there wasn't a whole lot of publicity being generated.  Who knows, maybe only one set of these were ever cranked out?

masonk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 11:15:12 am »
Another translation has been thrown into the mix, so now I'm not sure. Latest is as follows:

You Got A H*rd On (literally You Wooden D***)

I've posted it on a collectors forum, which has quite a few collectors from Russia/Eastern Europe. Hoping to get an exact translation.

As for the unit, the vet's final rate was CTO3, so adds to the exclusivity of the patch considering his role.

rdavis53

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 03:25:40 pm »
Probably Naval Security Group related.  CT is Communications Technician, roughly equivalent to Army 35 series MOS, Air Force 1Nx Series AFSC or USMC 26xx series MOS. The actual job wuld be identified by a letter following the T. The use of a Russian motto might indicated a CTI, Cryptologic linguist, though the diagonal dit and three dahs might point to a CTR, Manual Morse collectorr.  Having worked with Army 05Hs, current 35S, I would guess that a CTI was asked to provide an appropriate motto in the target language and obliged with the best phrase never presented in a classroom at Anacosta NAF or the Presido of Monterey.