Author Topic: Need help to ID this Keep Up The Fire DI  (Read 4517 times)

Manchuvet

• View Profile
Need help to ID this Keep Up The Fire DI
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:48:20 am »
Can anyone provide information about this 9th Regiment DI?  It is one solid piece with 2 posts on the back and no hallmark.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:00:36 am by Manchuvet »

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to ID this
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:11:16 pm »
Manchuvet,
  I am not a DI guy but I asked Jim McDuff who knows as much about DIs as anyone alive and this is what he said:
  "This is a known/ unauthorized Di variation, made in Korea.  Not valuable as it was never worn by the unit or authorized--made for collectors."
  Hope this helps,
  Dave

Manchuvet

• View Profile
Re: Need help to ID this
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:59:09 am »
Thanks for the information.  I was with the 9th Regiment in Vietnam and have collect their DI's and belt buckles for 40 years.  Have only seen a picture of this DI.  Most 9th Regiment DI's were not hallmarked but are still very collectable by 9th Regiment veterans.  One very scarce DI was made from a beer can and pressed.  Any additional information on this DI would be appreciated.

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to ID this Keep Up The Fire DI
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 07:50:19 am »
I am not sure but in your last posting are you looking for more info on the one you posted earlier or are you wanting more information on the beer can DI from VN?  As I said, I'm not a DI guy but I can try and find out more about the beer can if you want. 

Manchuvet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 01:20:05 pm »
Sorry for the confusion.  Let me try a different request.  I have 3 DI's.  One is made by a DoD contractor, one was made in Vietnam by local people, and the other is unknown.  If I can get information about any of these it would be much appreciated.  See pictures.  Thanks. Mike

currahee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 04:45:09 pm »
Okay, I'm a little out of my depth here because, as I said, I'm not a DI guy but I can venture a few observations.  You have seen what Jim McDuff said about the first one that you posted--that it was made in Korea and was essentially made for collectors and not worn by the unit.  It is what is called a "clutchback" meaning that it is held on to clothing by the two straight posts and a bras "clutch" that grasps onto the post.  That is how most modern day DIs are made because it is cheaper than the older ways.
  That brings me to the one hallmarked GEMSCO.  That is a "pin-back" DI and that is how the DIs were made in the 1940 and some into the 50s.  Gemsco ws a big dealer in all sorts of military and sports insignia.  They are now out of business.  The letter and number is a code for the DI.  A DI guy could probably tell you about when that DI was made by looking at those three indicators but I cannot.  I can only guess that it is 40s or 50s.
  The one in the middle, if that is the "Beercan" from Vietnam has no pins on it and that tells me either they have been broken off or they were never intended to be there.  If it wasn't intended to have pins put on it, then it is probably made for a plaque.  Units in Vietnam were big on giving out plaques when a guy DEROSed or rotated out.  These plaques were made locally in shops outside the gate or, if the base was large enough, in the PX.  They plaque would have an engraved plate with the guy's name, rank and duty title and dates he was there and then there would be any number of other things on it--maps of Viet Nam or the province or DI of the unit, etc.  All these attachments were made of thin metal (hence the "beercan" nickname) and glued on the plaque.
  That's about all I know and it is going to take someone with some in-depth DI knowledge to take this much further.